Florida man says Apple AirPods exploded while he was working outhttp://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/florida-man-apple-airpods-ble
As if going to the gym wasn’t hard enough...
Jason Colon was using his AirPods to listen to music during a work out at LA Fitness in St. Petersburg when one of the wireless buds started to emit a haze of white smoke, he told WFLA.
The Tampa resident set the earphones down on a piece of gym equipment to get help, but the right AirPod had shattered by the time he returned.
“I didn’t, you know, see it happen, but I mean it was already fried,” Colon said. “You can see where it looks like there’s flame damage.”
He described the incident as the “craziest thing I ever went through” and said he was relieved that he managed to pull the ear bud out in time.
“I don’t know what wouldn’ve happened to my ear,” Colon told the news station. “But I’m sure that since it hangs down, it could’ve been my ear lobe, you know, my ear lobe could’ve been burnt.”
Colon suspects a faulty battery is behind the incident — according to Apple, a failed electronic battery can lead to internal damage and overheating.
Jason Colon's Apple AirPods exploded while he was working out at an LA Fitness in St. Petersburg, Florida.(WFLA)
An Apple spokeswoman told WFLA the company is investigating the incident and that it intends to reach out to Colon.
The Apple AirPods are among many popular tech items that have turned life-threatening.
Samsung in 2016 recalled its Galaxy Note 7 after its faulty battery caused some of them to explode.
It was linked to “26 reports of burns and 55 reports of property damage, including fires in cars and a garage,” according to a U.S. Product Safety Commission recall.
Colon added that he hopes his incident will allow others to be more aware in the future.
“Just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again,” he said.